What is it? Nirvana is the ultimate goal of all Buddhist practices. In Theravada Buddhism , it is seen as a state beyond space and time, while in Zen or Mahayana traditions , it is synonymous with realizing one's innate Buddha nature. The first describing a physical experience, while the latter, wisdom. It is also known as enlightenment and awakening. There is a lot of unnecessary confusion on these terms, Bodhidharma, the first patriarch of Zen said scriptures and too much thinking are not the way to liberation or Nirvana. Gautama Buddha attained Nirvana after six years of rigorous yoga practice and meditation. He described Nirvana as the cessation of suffering, the extinguishing of the "three fires" or "three poisons"—greed, aversion, and ignorance. It is often expected to be a profound state, of liberation and tranquility, transcending the mundane world. How do you get it? To achieve nirvana or to extinguish these fires, Buddha offered the No...
My thoughts are infinite, they range from the mundane to the entire universe including all known, imagined and unimagined. The only difference between what I immediately see, feel, touch or hear and all I can think about is that this feels “real” (although I am not sure what reality is, it has to be more than a convention) and the others are in my head, so to speak, although that too is conjecture. Someone told me or I read it somewhere that the thoughts are in my head, they could be in thin air but they are not material things. If for the moment I dwell in my thoughts and assume that I am not what I can physically sense but all I can think of, then really there is no difference between You and I and Him. For I can think all You can and if I can’t You will tell me and then I can. So in other words, if we can make the world of thoughts real, we are all one. We can even extend this to all beings, all matter and everything in the cosmos. I feel constrained and presumptuous in claiming ...
Biological and mechanical sensors have limited range. So while body and mind can quickly notice an aching back, I can't sense the supernovae light years away. This gets more complicated as mind and thoughts interpret the pain as belonging to it because of the proximity. Thus the chain of identification begins eventually leading to this clumsy world of fear and joy. Mind does have the ability to parse through the signals and opt to limit itself to this puny self or extend its reaches to totality. Takes constant vigil known as meditation. All there is, is an integral of all changes in the limits of 0 and infinity. Me is just a very tiny part of the resulting unity and loves the comfort and limits of its existence. That's why.
Comments